Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  When my kids were little they couldn't understand why Christmas wasn't at the top of my holiday list but I think they get it now.  It's the only holiday that doesn't have an extra agenda to it, like buying candy (although you can do that) or give gifts, or shoot fireworks.  We just have a wonderful meal with those who mean the most to us to take stock of all we have rather than what we lack.  That makes me so happy!  Here are some things I am grateful for this year.

I am grateful for a family (of men) who support and love me no matter what.  They give me space to write, they hug me when I'm tired, they cook dinner when I'm too pooped to move.  I feel like a queen much of the time, and it's a dandy thing!

I'm grateful to be able to walk.  I sometimes curse the arthritis that plagues me, but I can still walk and get around pretty well, and that means a lot to me.

I'm grateful for my little razor that keeps my chin from making me look like that train guy on Polar Express.  Believe me, I sometimes think my chin hairs grow faster than my husbands!  But I gots the jump on the little suckers with that thing.

I'm grateful for chocolate.  There are many things in this world that testify to me of a Heavenly Father's love, and chocolate is one of them!  It's a lovely treat that makes me feel good when I need it.  One of His best inventions!

Dogs.  I love dogs.  I am not a cat person.  I am thankful for dogs in a world where there seems to be so much conditional love and to have a creature that will love you simply because you are there is a blessing.

I am grateful for music.  To have a way to express yourself when you don't have the right words is so cool!  That you can tell your friend, "Listen to this song," and they can get what you're feeling is so fabulous!  Or when something inside you is too big to keep in, you can burst into song and let it out in the best way possible, although I suggest you don't do this in Safeway. 

I am thankful for AJ who has such empathy in his being.  He is someone I never have to explain anything to, he just understands.  What an amazing gift to be his mother.

I'm grateful for Kevin who makes me laugh. He has such a good sense of humor and comes up with these things that just crack me up. So fun to have him for my son!

I am thankful for Stan who is always there for me.  He has changed my life in ways I cannot explain, even to him.  It scares me to think where I might be if not for him.

And mostly, I am grateful for a Father in Heaven and a Savior who give me more than chocolate and dogs, a husband and sons.  They have given me me a heart to feel gratitude, faith to guide me, love to fill me, music to bring me joy and my family to make it all worthwhile.

What are you thankful for?

2 comments:

Tara said...

What a great post! I am thankful for chocolate, too! And I'm really wanting some now...

I love how your writing can make me laugh my head off in one paragraph & cry in the next. You are an amazing writer!

I am thankful for YOU!!

Rach said...

As always, well said my friend. You cracked me up with your thoughts on chocolate and bursting into song (though not in Safeway of course). What a blessed woman you are, and how blessed I am to know you. Happy Thanksgiving!!