Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Marching Band

I don't know if you heard about this or not, but my youngest son Kevin is in the marching band at his high school. They were preparing for the parade at the State Fair and marching through the neighborhoods so they could build up their stamina and learn how to march on streets.

People came out to cheer and to film and applaud them as they went. But three people, THREE, called the district superintendent and complained (about what I can only imagine!) and the superintendent, instead of supporting our children, called off all future practicing in the streets.

It makes me very angry. We talk all the time about wanting our children to be involved in activities that will make them better people and when they do this happens? This is after school, not during babies naptimes, they aren't standing on someone's lawn playing, they are moving down the street. What about a diesel truck or a motorcycle? Do we ban them?

The thing I wonder the most is, if this was an athletic team out galloping down the street (which we have had on our street) would the superintendent have backed down for the sports program? There are other things our children are involved in that need our support as much as sports and we need to step up to the plate and let them know we have their backs.

If you agree with me, write or call the district office of the Falcon District 49 and let them know. We should let the Sand Creek High School Scorpion Marching Band practice.

And by the way... at the State Fair they came in first in their division (5A) and won third place overall. So those naysayers didn't slay them this time!

4 comments:

Mel said...

OOOOOOOOOH MMMMMMMMMMY GOODNESSSSSSSSS! I can not believe that-I love hearing the band come down the street. I think it is cool! and I totally agree with you -that should never happen. D49 does some pretty stupid things and it irritates me when they do it.

Brandon and Sommar said...

I can't believe that. My kids LOVE when the band comes by. We all go out on the front porch and cheer for them. Ally waves at them the whole time, I think it is her favorite part of the day. Jax was just saying yesterday that we haven't seen them in a while. D49 does some crazy things and this is one of them!

Rach said...

Oh that makes me so mad, Maureen. My kids LOVE to watch the band go by. They will go out and watch and march when they go by. You know, if people don't want to be "bothered" by any kind of noise, then they should go buy 10 acres in the the country. But, when you live in a neighborhood like ours, you have to be a little more tolerant about things like this. Give me a break. You know, I think I am going to call D49 and tell them I disagree with their decision on this.

Tara said...

Ditto to all!! I AM going to call, too! That's ridiculous!