Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Forty-three Years and Counting!

My BFF Beth had her birthday Monday. We've been friends for 43 years this month, so of course in all that time we've celebrated many birthdays together. Her birthday dinner of choice was always BBQ Beef Sandwiches and chocolate cake with peppermint frosting. I did get the recipe for the sandwiches, but never did get the peppermint frosting recipe. Beth tried to make it once when we were roommates and it turned out looking like she'd thrown up on the plate!

So every year I make these sandwiches for my family on her birthday. It's the only time all year I do make them, and I always ask why, cuz they're so stinkin' good!  It's been kind of a crazy couple of days around here so I'm making them for dinner tonight. Mmmm! I can smell the meat cooking!

I'm sharing the recipe here. The only thing I do differently these days is, after I brown the meat, I put it and the onions in my crock pot before I cover it with the sauce so it can cook all day long. The house smells amazing and it makes the meat easy to shred, which I like. I also prefer chuck roast for the way it tastes. Give it a try!


This is a picture of Beth and I the summer we were 17.
We spent a week up at Lake Tahoe before we started college.
Don't we look young???


BBQ Beef Sandwiches

4-5 pound pot, chuck or rump roast
3 medium onions, sliced
French rolls (sliced sandwich size)
For sauce:
1/4 cup water
8 oz tomato sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 pressed garlic cloves
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons brown sugar

Brown meat (seasoned well) in heavy kettle. Drain off fat when done. Top with onion slices.

Combine sauce ingredients and whisk until smooth. Pour over beef and onions.

Simmer covered for approximately 2 hours for sliceable meat, 3+ hours for very tender. If it dries out add water.

Serve on heated and buttered rolls.

Oh ... YEAH!


No comments: