Friday, September 2, 2011

Cockeyed Cake

I have been very open about my chocolate addiction. I think it started while in the womb since my mother is a known chocolaholic. Often when planning things for my family I see when and where I can fit chocolate into our plans. Labor Day is this Monday, and it seemed like the perfect time to add some of my favorite concoction to the menu: homemade fried chicken, potato salad, corn-on-the-cob, watermellon and ... TA DA! ... chocolate cake!

Since the last few times I've made cupcakes and pie and cake about half of it gets thrown out, I thought about making a smaller amount. That was when I remembered this old recipe my mother got back in the 1970s from her sister. No bowls needed, just the pan you fix it in! Easy peasy! And it's a smaller, one layer cake that you can jazz up a bit. I just make a powdered sugar, cocoa and milk frosting for it. But for extra fun, when you take it out of the oven, cover the top with mini-marshmallows and let them melt a bit on the hot cake. Make the frosting a bit thinner and pour or drizzle over the marshmallows. Gooey, decadent and oh so yummy!

COCKEYED CAKE

1-1/2 cups flour
3 Tablespoons cocoa
1 tsp soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon inegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup cold water

Sift dry ingredients together into a greased 9" x 9" pan.  Make three holes in the dry mixture.  Into one pour the oil, another the vinegar and into the third the vanilla.  Pour cold water over all.

Beat with a spoon until nearly smooth.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Coarse but moist! Good!

No comments: