Monday, March 12, 2012

Irish Proverbs

It's that time of year ... St. Patrick's Day is coming! I enjoy my Irish heritage, name and stories of my ancestry. One of the things I enjoy the most are Irish proverbs. Some of them are so funny, some so sweet, and all of them are interesting. I've put a few down here to help get in the mood for the day. Bain sult as! (Enjoy!)

A guest should be blind in another man's house.

Firelight will not let you read fine stories but its warm and you won't see the dust on the floor.

It is no shame to tell the truth.

It's often a man's mouth broke his nose.

The schoolhouse bell sounds bitter in youth and sweet in old age.

You’ll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

Hunger is a good sauce.

If God sends you down a stony path, may he give you strong shoes.

A turkey never voted for an early Christmas.

There's no need to fear the wind if your haystacks are tied down.

No comments: