Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

Memorial Day is the holiday where we take the time to remember those who gave their lives to help defend and preserve this wonderful country we live in. I am so grateful to those men and women and their families for their sacrifices. I feel my family has been doubly blessed as I've had many generations who have served, and we haven't lost any in war that I am aware of. Grandparents, uncles, cousins ... all have returned home.

Today we had an early celebration dinner before Stan left for work. Very traditional, very American!


Fried Chicken and my Grandma Lucile Hillyard's recipe for Potato Salad!


Devilled Eggs!
(for my devilish men)



We also had corn-on-the-cob, which we tried cooking in the microwave for the first time! Someone emailed me a video of this older man demonstrating cooking corn in the microave, husks and all, and voila! It comes out clean as a whistle and perfectly cooked.

Put two ears at a time in your microwave. Whole, just like you bring them home from the store. Microwave on high for nine minutes. Cut off the bottom (careful, they're hot so use oven mitts) then squeeze from the top and they come out without silk or anything. SO easy!

As a treat for Stan we had one of his favorite desserts: Key Lime Pie! Seemed like a Southern meal to me! It was fun, the company was great, and I'm so grateful to all those who give and have given so much so that we may have such a wonderful life.


No comments: