Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Friendship Anniversary

September 9th is Admissions Day in California; the date it became a state. When I was a kid it was also the last day of summer vacation as school always started the day after it.

It is a special day for me this year. My best friend (BFF) and I met in our 8th grade English class in September 1968. We always celebrate our "anniversary of friendship" and this year we celebrate 40 years of friendship.

We were both talkers. Our teacher, Mr. South (for whom I will forever be grateful) got tired of our talking after a few days, and moved us next to each other right in front of his desk so he could keep an eye on us. Who would have thought that all this time later we would still be talking? And emailing and text messaging and .......

She is the sister of my heart; the keeper of my secrets and dreams. I truly believe that we were friends in the pre-existence because from the day we met it was like we had always known each other.

The photo is one taken the summer after we graduated from high school. We were 17 and were spending a week up at Lake Tahoe in a cabin on the lake. I think we look pretty cute, but the memories and the friendship that we have shared sustains me and enriches me. I wish for all of us a relationship like that.

3 comments:

Rach said...

I LOVE friends like this. Friends that you can count on to do whatever, friends you would trust with your life, and friends that start where you left off no matter how much time has passed. Everyone needs a friend like that.

Tara said...

Nicole and Kendyll are like that! They celebrated their 1 year anniversary of being BFF's on August 8th. Nicole has asked me so many times if she and Kendyll can be BFF's forever! I hope they can!!!

Tiffany said...

She is one lucky gal to have you for her BFF. You are such an amazing lady!