Monday, October 5, 2009

My Baby is 20

My baby boy turned 20 today. I am filled with a plethora of emotions. On one hand I am so proud of him! He is such an amazing young man.

On the other, I am filled with a sense of melancholy because the days of my having a little boy trotting after me and letting me play with him and cuddle him in my lap are over.

But I am SO glad I had them!

There was a time in my life when I was certain that motherhood would not be mine. It was while I was struggling with the idea of this that I met and fell in love with my husband. I was 32 when we married, and we started our family the next year. AJ came early, and he was only given 48 hours to live. But we were blessed, and here were are today.

He has brought so much joy to my life, added such richness. It was because he was such a fun and happy baby that Stan and I had Kevin so soon after. He is an excellent son, big brother, and person. He is and will continue to be a gift to everyone around him. I am lucky to have been given this blessing of being his mother.

I've always said that I believe that the Lord must truly love me to have given me AJ to care for and raise. That doesn't seem truer to me than today as we celebrate his birthday.

4 comments:

Tara said...

He IS an amazing young man! Happy B-day AJ...WE love you!

Dirk and Trish said...

Happy Birthday AJ! He is such a sweety! As much as he has blessed and enriched your life, it's apparent that you have been a wonderful mom. I just can't get over how sweet your boys are. Thank goodness doctors are wrong sometimes.

Mel said...

WOW- times flies faster than we want it at times. Happy bday AJ! You should be proud of both your sons. I witness their sincere love for you every time I see you all together. Not many sons act the way they do around their mother-always doting on you. You are one lucky lady!

Rach said...

What?? How can he be 20 already??? Happy Birthday AJ! I loved what you wrote about him. He is defintely a gem, but you know what? His Mom is pretty amazing too! You guys have the most amazing family.