Saturday, April 17, 2010

Pooter Soup

This is a favorite family recipe.  I've been eating it since I was a little girl, and now my husband and boys love it too.  My kids renamed it "Pooter Soup" when they were little ... you can figure it out.  Whenever we have a ham it's a good way to use up the last of the ham and the bone.  Hope you give it a try and enjoy it!

NAVY BEAN SOUP

1 small bag navy beans
1 medium onion chopped
3-4 stalks celery, chopped
2 small carrots, diced
1 ham bone or ham hock
Water
Salt and Pepper

Soak navy beans overnight. (At high altitude, I soak them for two nights.) Rinse, then put them in a large pot and cover with fresh, cold water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.

While simmering, prepare vegetables, and place in crock pot along with ham bone. Pour beans and hot water into crock pot adding more water if necessary. Salt and pepper as you wish, then let cook in crock pot all day long. I like to give it at least 8 hours.

You can also cook this on the stove the same way, just cover and simmer all day. We like to serve it with corn bread. A good way to use up a ham bone after Easter, it great on a cold, wet, rainy day!

No comments: