Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What Are Ya Gonna Do?

There's been a lot of chatter in the media lately about gas prices hitting and going over $4 a gallon. In nine states it's already over that. Here in Colorado it's creeping slowly towards it and I'm not sure what the next step is going to be as far as the family budget goes.

Not only are gas prices rising, but food prices are getting crazy. I used to be able to buy a bag a chicken breasts at Sam's Club or Costco for about $10 a bag, and it's now $23. Same thing for things like peanut butter, pasta, bread, soup, cereal ... it's all skyrocketing at a time when there's no where else to cut. Monthly bills are one area it's difficult to manage. The only place it seems cutting back is an option is at the grocery store and with discretionary spending.

Personally, I've already cut our grocery budget to $75 a week, and sometimes I can't do it for that! The boys share one car to go to school, but college campuses aren't exactly in the neighborhood and getting to school four days a week takes a lot of gas. We're now up to $90 a week with two cars and I'm afraid that isn't going to be satisfactory for much longer.

Of course, the money coming in to take care of these inflating costs is not rising. I know many people are taking pay cuts just to be able to keep their jobs. My boys go out on interviews for jobs at pet stores, fast food joints, etc. and are competing with men in their 30s and 40s who are married with children.

I don't know. The financial experts keeps saying the recession is over. I'm not sure where they're looking, but it definitely isn't in my house!

No comments: