Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Happy Birthday Fred!

Today is Fred Astaire's birthday! He was born May 10, 1899 and died on June 22, 1987. I have loved him since I was a teenager. He had such style, and such a joyful way of dancing that when I was studying dance he was my inspiration.

I have put on some songs of him singing that I love. He had such a funny, sweet voice. Stan gave me an album of his a few years ago that I love to play, and wanted to share with you here.

This first picture is one that when I was in high school my sister and friend Paul had blown up into a huge poster for my bedroom. It's always been one of my favorites. If you get a chance to watch some of Fred's movies, please take the opportunity. You will have a good time.

So happy birthday Fred! I'm glad you were in the world and a part of my life. I think the world is a little sadder without you in it.



1 comment:

Grandma Dana said...

Maureen, I had no idea that we loved the same man! Fred has been my favorite since a child too. I really miss the old movies. That was back when movies were movies that you could sit, enjoy and not have so much violence. Thanks for your great post.