Thursday, January 7, 2010

My BFF's Coming!


I am so excited.  My best friend, Beth, is coming for a visit!  She'll be here the weekend of the 16th--so I am makin' plans for lots of talking, lots of hot chocolate and lots of fun.

We met in 8th grade English class.  We were both talking so the teacher moved us next to each other right in front of his desk so he could keep an eye on us.  Who knew that more than 40 years later we'd still be talking?

She still lives in California, and in the ten years since we've moved to Colorado we have tried to get together whenever we can, and talk on the phone as time permits.  She is a therapist who specializes in grief counseling, and is very busy.  Those of you who have read my mystery novel should know that the character of Kate is based upon her.  It's not entirely Beth, but is very much like her.  Maeve and Kate are the two of us.  In college we used to write our own Nancy Drew stories to amuse ourselves, and the girl detective is still one of our heronies.

I'm just so excited.  It's been about three years since I've seen her.  I think the Martin Luther King holiday is my new favorite holiday!!

4 comments:

Rach said...

How fun!! I'm sure you two will have such a great visit. Hey, our good friends live in California too. We have been trying to get them out here forever. Maybe you and I could team up and find a way to get people to move out here!! =)

Maureen said...

I wish we could get our friends to move out here, wouldn't that be great? The only thing holding Beth back is the test for her license. Maybe if we just went out there and dragged them back with us .....

Dirk and Trish said...

So fun! I love catching up with distant friends, though it seems there's never enough time. Have fun!

Tara said...

Yay!! I hope to be able to meet her! How long will she be here? I'm so excited for you!