Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Whataya Do?


Have you ever had one of those situations that you don't know how to handle?  At least, how to handle gracefully?  I have had plenty of them actually, but one really sticks out in my mind.

Back when I was in my twenties my friend Beth and I wanted to take a night class at the community college.  We decided, for some unknown reason (because we really tanked at it) to take French.  I guess it sounded romantic or something. We met an older woman in class and became friends.  She was about twenty years older than we were, married with children, and really interesting to us.  We started out going out after class and grabbing something to eat or drink and talking.  Soon we would meet at her house and visit.

One afternoon after Beth and I got off work we went over to see her.  She had been kind of down, and we found her sitting at her kitchen table, still in her robe, smoking and looking depressed.  We sat down and tried to cheer her up talking about the class, telling her what we'd been up to, that sort of thing.

Suddenly she stood up and said she wanted to ask us something.  She unzipped her robe and opened it to us.  She was naked underneath.  Now, that was shocking enough, but then she asked us, "Am I even?"

Now I ask you, what do you say to that???  I have no memory of what Beth and I did, how or even if we answered her.  Maybe we made like those cats Pepe le Pew used to grab and high tailed it out of there, I don't know.  What I do know is that I wish there was a pill I could take to erase that memory from my mind.  Maybe it'll be erased when I'm in my dotage ......

3 comments:

Rach said...

Oh...my...goodness. Wow, I really have no response. I have no idea what I would have done in that situation. I'll see if I can find you one of those flash things from Men In Black, that should take care of that memory for you!! =)

Maureen said...

Hey, Rach, I hadn't thought of that! It could work ... thanks!

Karla said...

You make me laugh. I think I would have been too stunned to even move!